General language resources:
Feel free to suggest your own in the comments below.
- Readlang - Translate words you read online with one click. Saves each word to a vocabulary list. Free for 10 words per day.
- Forvu - enter any word, hear the correct pronunciation.
- Duolingo - some grammar, but mostly learning/practicing by translating phrases. Use with a textbook for better grammar explanations. Side benefit, by practicing, you're helping to translate the web.
- BBC offers short online activities for a number of languages.
- Language Learning Wiki offers a series of video lessons in a number of languages.
Language specific resources:
Textbooks (All free online. I highly recommend using a textbook when learning a language. It provides an overall structure and foundation and lets you mark your own progress. You can often find used textbooks for a few dollars on Amazon or other sites.)
- Teach Yourself Arabic (Arabic for beginners)
- MIT Open Courseware (Chinese for beginners)
- Français interactif (French for Beginners) - check out our lessons as well for language exchange activities connected with the book.
- Deutsch im Blick (German for Beginners) - check out our lessons as well for language exchange activities connected with the book.
- Yojik site, links to U.S. Gov't resources - (All languages, courses used for the Peace Corps etc.)
- Al Arabiya - Number of resources. This is where I found the free textbook for Arabic above.
- Talk in Arabic - Focus on spoken dialects.
- Confucius Institute - Free Microcourses, though I don't see much for absolute beginners. Funded by Chinese government.
- Chinese Tools - More short lessons and materials for beginners.
- Chinese Grammar Wiki - Exaclty what it says.
- Learn English from the British Council. (All levels) - Mixxer's lessons integrate with their "Big City Small World" series.
- Learning English from the Voice of America. (All levels) - Note the levels at the top. Mixxer's lessons integrate with them as well.
- TV5MONDE - Video based lessons from the TV channel. (All levels)
- Learn German from Deusche Welle (All levels)
- Goethe Institute short lessons with video organized. Requires a free registration (All levels)
- RT Russian public television, listening and grammar (All levels)
- Practica Español - (All levels) - reading and listening with some grammar. Also check out our lessons as well for language exchange activities connected with the readings on the site.