Series One Episode Twelve: Good News & Bad News! - This is the last episode in series one and we get lots of new information. Magda and Johnny receive new job offers from their company. Sarah has to find a new apartment again. Harry lost his job.
- Review some vocabulary you’ll hear in the audio, click on the Preparation tab http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/big-city-small-world/series-1…
First time listening to the audio
There is quite a bit in this episode, so be sure to stop and repeat parts you don’t understand. All of these people have news. Make sure you know what information each person shares.
- Sarah and her new apartment
- Listen to the episode again. This time, use the transcript provided below. With the transcript, you should be able to summarize the episode. Each person sees their new situation as something both potentially positive and negative. Can you name the good and bad part of each? What potential solution does Sarah have for finding a new apartment.
- Listen to the episode a third time. Try not to use the transcript.
- There is quite a bit in this episode, so be sure to stop and repeat parts you don’t understand. All of these people have news. Make sure you know what information each person shares.
- Complete the quizzes by clicking on the tabs marked as task.
- Task two is about adjectives from the episode. Use the transcript to help you and review information about adjectives.
- Task four is about adjectives with ‘ed’ or ‘ing’
- Task six is about articles, definite and indefinite.
- Prepare for a conversation with your language partner by writing some questions. Ask them about about major changes in their life and if they had both positive and negative aspects. What were the biggest decisions they’ve ever made? Have they made decisions about where to live, their education, job, or family? etc
- Meet with your language partner. Try your best to only speak in English for 30 minutes. Of course, be sure to then provide your partner with an equal amount of time to practice our native language as well.
- Write a summary of your exchange with your partner on the Mixxer blog. Write about any big decisions they have made and compare them with your own.