Series Two Episode Two: Hello Carlos! - In this episode Olivia receives the same bad news as Tony. We also meet Carlos who works for the building company that wants to tear down Tony’s cafe and Olivia’s shop.
- Review some vocabulary you’ll hear in the audio, click on the Preparation tab http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/big-city-small-world/series-2…
First time listening to the audio
- Listen for the news from Olivia. Who is Carlos? How might he help.
- Listen to the episode again. This time, use the transcript provided below. With the transcript, you should be able to summarize the episode. Is Olivia happy with the compensation? How do they meet Carlos? How might Carlos help them? Why is he hesitant?
- Listen to the episode a third time. Try not to use the transcript.
- Complete the quizzes by clicking on the tabs marked as task.
- Task two is about countable and uncountable nouns.
- Task three is about word order. Most clauses in English start with the subject followed by the verb and object. For example, “The student reads the book.”
- Prepare for a conversation with your language partner by writing some questions. Write some questions about their friends. Who are their friends? How did they meet? How have their friends helped them? How have they helped their friends? etc
- Meet with your language partner. Try your best to only speak in English for 30 minutes. Of course, be sure to then provide your partner with an equal amount of time to practice your native language as well.
- Write a summary of your exchange with your partner on the Mixxer blog. Write about their friends, how they met, and how they’ve helped each other.