Series One Episode Six: He’s a Pest - We meet a new character, Joe, who is Olivia’s very energetic nephew. We also learn more about Harry’s job offers from Olivia and Fadi.
- Click the preparation tab to learn some new vocabulary.
First time listening to the audio
- There’s still a money problem for both Olivia and Fadi when it comes to hiring Harry, but what makes their situations different?
- Listen again using the transcript. Who enjoys Joe and who does not? Who wants to hire Harry and who is happy that Harry may be too busy? What mistake does Fadi make?
- Listen to Harry a third time. See if you can follow the dialogue without using the transcript. Pause the audio and review the transcript if you have any difficulties.
- Complete the questions for each task tab below the transcript. http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/big-city-small-world/series-1…
- Prepare for an exchange with your partner. Prepare questions about their family and relatives. Ask them about their relatives, what they are like, where they live, what they do, etc.
- Meet with your language partner. Try your best to only speak in English for 30 minutes. Of course, be sure to then provide your partner with an equal amount of time to practice our native language as well.
- Write a summary of your exchange with your partner on the Mixxer blog. How do you think families are different from where you live? Are they larger or smaller? Do family members live close by or far apart? Who helps raise the children?