Series One Episode Eight: I’ll Be Rich In Three Years - Judging from the words in the title and the people speaking, you should have a good idea of the content of this episode as well. What kind of person is Johnny? Do you remember Magda’s problem? Sarah is in this episode as well. Do you remember where she was going at the end of the last episode?
- Review some vocabulary you’ll hear in the audio, click on the Preparation tab http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/big-city-small-world/series-1-episode-8-ill-be-rich-three-years
- There is an emphasis as well on prepositions again, particularly the difference between “working for” and “working with”. Johnny will explain the difference if you’re unsure. If you’re still not sure at the end of the episode, ask your language partner when you meet.
- This episode also includes count and uncount nouns which you can review here:
First time listening to the audio
There are three main parts to the dialogue. Listen for each:
- Sarah’s apartment search
- Magda’s job search
- Johnny talks about his job
- Listen to the episode again. This time, use the transcript provided below. With the transcript, you should be able to summarize each of the three parts that form this episode.
- Listen to the episode a third time. Try not to use the transcript.
- There are three main parts to the dialogue. Listen for each:
- Complete the quizzes by clicking on the tabs marked as task.
- Prepare for a conversation with your language partner by writing some questions. Prepare questions about friends they have had and places they have been. Sarah is about to move to a new place in a strange city and meet new people. Ask your partner if they have ever moved to a new town or city. How did they meet each of their friends? What was it like in a new place? You can also ask about the first time they did something, like their first day of school or work.
- Meet with your language partner. Try your best to only speak in English for 30 minutes. Of course, be sure to then provide your partner with an equal amount of time to practice our native language as well.
- Write a summary of your exchange with your partner on the Mixxer blog. Describe some of the important days in your partner’s life.