Series 1 Episode 1: "Meeting Friends "
- As you can guess from the title, our characters meet each other in this episode. There are five characters you’ll hear, Johnny speaks with Olivia first in Tony’s Cafe. She then introduces him to Sarah, who is also waiting to meet someone. Finally, Johnny says he is waiting for Harry and Sarah is waiting for Magda. The episode concludes with them all meeting each other. Because of all the voices, it may help to look at the transcript first and take a look at the vocabulary in the preparation section.
- You’ll also hear some new grammar. If you are unfamiliar with why and when verbs sometimes end in ‘ing’ in English or with words such as "something" or "anything", review the grammar points below.
First time listening to the audio.
- First time - Try and keep track of who is talking. Who is already familiar with the cafe? Who is new here? In what order to do they arrive?
- Second time - Listen to the audio again, you can use the transcript if you like as well. You should be able to recognize who was already friends with whom. Also, why is Johnny confused in the beginning? What does he expect in Tony’s cafe?
- This video comes with several comprehension tasks. Complete each one by clicking the tabs that say “Task”. If you had trouble, listen to the audio again with the help of the transcript. http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/big-city-small-world/series-1…
- Prepare for a meeting with your language partner. Prepare questions for your partner about places where they go to eat. Do they have waiters? How and when is the food served? Do people meet there? Do people have to order food or can they order only a tea or coffee? Do people tip? Etc. Prepare at least 20 questions.
- Meet with your language partner. Try your best to only speak in English for 30 minutes. Of course, be sure to then provide your partner with an equal amount of time to practice our native language as well.
- Write a summary of your exchange with your partner on the Mixxer blog. Write an imaginary dialogue of two friends who meet in a cafe or restaurant.