Series Two Episode Nine: New Year’s Resolutions - Fadi is grumpy. Olivia has a problem. Magda talks about New Year’s resolutions, and Carlos has an important question for Sarah.
- Review some vocabulary you’ll hear in the audio, click on the Preparation tab http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/big-city-small-world/series-2…
First time listening to the audio
- What is a New Year’s resolution? What is Olivia’s problem? What question does Carlos have for Sarah?
- Listen to the episode again. This time, use the transcript provided below. With the transcript, you should be able to summarize the episode. Why do you think Fadi is grumpy? How do you think Sarah will answer?
- Listen to the episode a third time. Try not to use the transcript.
- Complete the quizzes by clicking on the tabs marked as task.
- Task four is about adjectives.
- Prepare for a conversation with your language partner. Does your partner know about New Year’s resolutions? Has he or she ever made a resolution? If you like, you can also ask about dating in their country? How do people ask each other on dates? Who usually asks? Where do they go? Etc
- Meet with your language partner. Try your best to only speak in English for 30 minutes. Of course, be sure to then provide your partner with an equal amount of time to practice your native language as well.
- Write a summary of your exchange with your partner on the Mixxer blog. Write a post about dating or New Year’s resolutions.