Series Two Episode Four: Save the Cafe! - Harry, Bindyu and Sarah each do something or have an idea to save the cafe. Magda tells her friends if she has decided to take the job as an architect.
- Review some vocabulary you’ll hear in the audio, click on the Preparation tab http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/big-city-small-world/series-2…
First time listening to the audio
This episode is all about the cafe.
- What do Harry, Bindyu, and Sarah each do or plan to do to help save the cafe?
- Does Magda take the job? Does she promise to help her friends save the cafe, even though she works for the company that wants the building destroyed?
- Listen to the episode again. This time, use the transcript provided below. With the transcript, you should be able to summarize the episode. Sarah has the most important news. How does she learn about the building? How may it help to save he cafe?
- Listen to the episode a third time. Try not to use the transcript.
- This episode is all about the cafe.
- Complete the quizzes by clicking on the tabs marked as task.
- Task three focuses on verbs. Since they’re taken directly from this episode, you should be fine with just the transcript. For further explanation, use the link below for more information on tenses and aspects of verbs.
- Prepare for a conversation with your language partner. Write some questions for a discussion about historical places and buildings in the their country. What are their most important buildings and monuments? Where are they? Why are they important? Does the government protect these places? Ask your partner to send pictures from the internet if possible.
- Meet with your language partner. Try your best to only speak in English for 30 minutes. Of course, be sure to then provide your partner with an equal amount of time to practice our native language as well.
- Write a summary of your exchange with your partner on the Mixxer blog. Write a post about historical places. If your partner gave you links or images from the web, use them in your post.