Series One Episode Ten: You’ll be a shoo-in! - In this episode we get an update on Johnny’s injury, Harry’s new job, and Magda’s interview.
- Review some vocabulary you’ll hear in the audio, click on the Preparation tab http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/big-city-small-world/series-1…
First time listening to the audio
There are three main parts to the dialogue. Listen for each:
- Johnny’s injury update
- Harry’s opinion about his new job
- Magda’s interview
- Listen to the episode again. This time, use the transcript provided below. With the transcript, you should be able to summarize each of the three parts that form this episode.
- Listen to the episode a third time. Try not to use the transcript.
- There are three main parts to the dialogue. Listen for each:
- Complete the quizzes by clicking on the tabs marked as task.
- Task four asks about gerunds and infinitives. Gerunds are basically verbs that are turned into nouns by adding ‘ing’. For example, “Swimming is fun.” Infinitives combine ‘to’ and the verb and often appear immediately following another verb. For example, “I want to go home”. If you’re unfamiliar with gerund or infinitives, review using the link below.
- Prepare for a conversation with your language partner by writing some questions. Write questions that allow you to practice using gerunds and infinitives. Ask your partner about activities to practice gerunds. Do you like hiking? Use the verbs from the grammar section on infinitives to practice this form as well.
- Meet with your language partner. Try your best to only speak in English for 30 minutes. Of course, be sure to then provide your partner with an equal amount of time to practice our native language as well.
- Write a summary of your exchange with your partner on the Mixxer blog. Write about what they like to do as well as their hopes and dreams for the future.