Our next character is Johnny.
- Johnny will describe why he’s come to London and what he does. He’s quite different from Magda. If you’re unfamiliar with comparing people and things in English, review the description of comparative and superlative adjectives
- Review some of the vocabulary Johnny will use as well. From the vocabulary, try and guess what Johnny does in London and how he is different from Magda.
First time listening to the audio
- First time - Write down adjectives you would use to describe Johnny. Think about how he is different from Magda. http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/big-city-small-world/meet-johnny
- Second time - Listen to the audio again, you can use the transcript if you like as well. You should be able to describe Johnny and compare him to the other people you’ve met so far.
- This video comes with several comprehension tasks. Complete each one by clicking the tabs that say “Task”. If you had trouble, listen to the audio again with the help of the transcript.
- Prepare for a conversation with your language partner. Write down the names of five friends or family members. Compare them to each other. Who is more ambitious? Who is the funniest? Etc. Prepare at least 20 questions asking your partner to compare members of his or her family and friends.
- Meet with your language partner. Try your best to only speak in English for 30 minutes. Of course, be sure to then provide your partner with an equal amount of time to practice your native language as well.
- Write a summary of your exchange with your partner on the Mixxer blog. Write a description comparing your language partner's friends and family. Do the same for your own friends and family. Ask your partner to comment on your post and ask if the information is correct and if you used your new grammar and vocabulary correctly.